Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Zigbee for Raspberry Pi

The hardware setup I'm using is explained in Wireless/Zigbee for PIC Micros. If we can use this as a USB dongle for PC (shown in my previous post), it should be simple enough for using it with our hot favorite Raspberry Pi. FT232R is a very widely used chip with good driver support for Linux as well.

USB-Zigbee Dongle connected to Raspberry Pi (left breadboard), peer being debugged (right breadboard) and Zena analyzer in the background.

For the software side on Raspberry Pi, we have plenty of options, C/C++, python, shell or even the C# application (haven't tried mono on Pi yet). Later this month, I'll post an assembled version of the dongle and with some code examples too.

I'm really excited about this one and keen to show you how I'm using this as the internet gateway for my micros, sensors and robots.

Stay tuned!

1 comment: